Silo Bags for Grain and Silage Storage
To keep up with the global food system, countries need to produce more food grains making less loss post-harvest before consumption. Hermetic storage or silo bags is an ancient technology ideal for controlling insect infestation in grain and preserving its nutrient quality and caloric value. In ancient times, agricultural societies stored their surplus grain in containers or structures that kept it safe from the elements and restricted infestation of grains by rodents, insects, and birds. Furthermore, the well-sealed structures prevent air exchange inside and outside the store.
What Are Silo Bags?
Silo bags are sacks comprised of polyethylene. The sacks comprise three layers of polyethylene, giving them a thickness of 250 microns. The external layer is generally white and reflects sun-based radiation. The internal layer is black and impedes sunlight. A typical silo bag is approximately 60 meters long, 3 meters in diameter, and stores about 200 tons of grains like maize, wheat, and soybeans.
Storing Grains in a Silo Bag
Undoubtedly, silo bags are an ideal choice for storing grains. When you store an enormous volume of grains in these bags, these bags are waterproof when sealed properly. Furthermore, the proper sealing offers a high degree of tightness, preventing atmospheric oxygen and carbon dioxide from interacting with the stored grains. Therefore, it is an ideal way of storing grains without compromising the quality of grains.
The ground where you need to place the silo bags must be level and must not accumulate standing water during the rains. Besides, the ground must be free from sharp objects, such as sharp rocks and field stubble that might puncture the plastic. The presence of even very small holes will compromise the hermetic seal, allowing moisture, air, and insects to enter the grains stored.
Why Store Grains in Silo Bags?
Enlisted are the reasons why storing grains in silo bags are ideal.
- Storing grains in silo bags reduces capital investments compared to the cost of building steel bins.
- The use of silo bags is cost-effective since these bags act as buffer storage, which might require extra investment, depending upon the quantity of grains stored.
- Silo bags simplifies the harvest logistics by offering flexible storage even along the edge of the field, especially when the logistics reaching permanent storage is a constraint.
- The silo bags provide easy means for on-farm segregation of the grains. It is also helpful in offering a very suitable option for preserving the identity of some of the specialty grains.
- Using silo bags for storing grains helps maintain the overall moisture content of the grains while storing. It helps in maintaining an air-tight or hermetic environment.
Why Choose Rishi FIBC?
Whenever you require silo bags, Rishi FIBC is the best choice. As one of the premier manufacturers Rishi FIBC is the first choice of users. We have a team of trained and highly skilled professionals who are experts in manufacturing the bags without compromising the quality. To meet our customers’ expectations, we ensure that all our silo bags meet quality standards.